The Riot and the Dance: Foundational Biology
by Dr. Gordon Wilson
If you thought biology was the province of secular scientists, think again: The Riot and the Dance is biology like you've never seen it before. With over 130 original illustrations and several hundred figures total, this book is first and foremost an approachable and readable explanation of the basics of biology for high school or undergraduate students. But Gordon Wilson doesn't dumb down the concepts: Using analogies, anecdotes, and simple, personable language to teach key details about the bottom-line themes of biology, Dr. Wilson gives students handles to grasp the wonders of life on all levels.
In "Part 1: The Living Cell," you will be introduced to:
- the basics of cellular and molecular biology, including the "motors" of flagella and other awe-inspiring nano-machines
- the "how and why" of photosynthesis, cellular respiration, the central dogma, mitosis, meiosis, recombinant DNA technology, and Mendelian genetics, and more...
In "Part 2: The Diversity of Life," you will be taken on a fascinating tour of:
- the major phyla and classes of all of the six taxonomic kingdoms
- important concepts in the creation/evolution debate
- an exciting survey of God's living handiwork, including the tiny, deadly Trypanosoma, fungus firearms, sedentary sponges, bizarre echinoderms and unfamiliar facts about the lifecycles and habits of familar vertebrates and plants
- the basics of ecology, such as symbiotic relationships, food webs, and the interdependency of life
- a biblical approach to conservation, and much more...
Rather than teaching a pile of disconnected facts about biology, Gordon Wilson gives the reader a foundational knowledge of living things alongside his primary goal, which is to stir up a long-lasting wonder and curiosity about life and a greater desire to praise the Creator.
Each chapter of the book includes some review questions. For educators and homeschoolers, we have created a pdf with all the answers to the review questions which you can download here.