Over half of the English language is derived from Latin.
amateur - amo, I love
Montana - mons, mountain
patriot - patria, native land
spectacular - specto, I look at
mural - murus, wall
These and thousands of other words we use every day keep this "dead" language—a language of kings and poets, of scrolls and secrets—alive. And this means that when we study Latin, we're not just learning about Rome - we're learning about ourselves. Rediscover this time-honored language, which led classical education pioneer Dorothy Sayers to declare that "Latin should be begun as early as possible ... when the chanting of "Amo, amas, amat" is as ritually agreeable to the feelings as the chanting of "eeny, meeny, miney, moe."
In Latin Primer 1 Martha Wilson equips elementary school students (grades 3 and up) with a solid foundation in classical Latin. Newly revised and expanded, this text covers the very basics: vocabulary for everyday concepts like farming, sailing, the human body, constellations, and family; verb and noun endings; and other beginning grammar concepts.
Those of you familiar with the older editions of Latin Primer 1 are probably wondering what's different about these new editions.
To begin, the content and teaching approach of this third edition is fundamentally the same as before. We've added additional exercises, moved some of the vocabulary around, etc., but these new editions won't force teachers or parents to struggle through a long period of adjustment. If anything, this new edition will be much, much easier to use.
Click here to drill all Vocabulary lists on quizlet.
Martha Wilson received a bachelor's degree from Washington State University majoring in both elementary education and fine arts. She taught at Logos School in Moscow, Idaho from 1985-1991, studied Latin at New St. Andrew's College and the University of Idaho, and was the Latin teacher at Logos for her last three years there. She and her husband Jeff live in Georgetown, Kentucky with their seven children in an old house on a quiet street. Most summers they drive their big tan van across the prairies and mountains to the Northwest, visiting and sightseeing along the way. As befitting a mother of seven, she is somewhat of an expert on soups. Their family is part of the Georgetown Evangelical Free Church.
PAGE COUNT: 200 pages
ISBN 10: 1-591280-54-0
PUB. DATE: March 31, 2009
More teaching resources for Latin Primer 1
Teacher's Edition: This includes teaching notes, answers to the worksheets, quizzes, and tests.
Flash Cards: With the Latin word on one side and the English translation on the other, these cards are ideal for studying and memorizing vocabulary.
Audio Guide: Read by Mackenzie Miller with Chelsea Jones, this audio guide covers the vocabulary and chants from the third edition of Latin Primer 1.
Complete Package: This includes the Student Textbook, the Teacher's Edition, the flashcards, and the Audio Guide.
Orders & Shipping Policy
- Your order will be processed and shipped within five business days (usually next business day if all items are in stock!). We will notify you if your order is delayed longer than five days due to backorders.
All books, homeschool curriculum, and materials purchased directly from Canon or Logos Press, with the exception of audio, video, or other digital products, may be returned for a full refund with the following conditions:
- A return request must be made within thirty (30) days of the sale. Please email our customer service department for return authorization (email@example.com).
- Please package and individually wrap items in a return shipment: Items must be in resalable condition or we will not issue a refund (i.e., no scratches, dents, tears, bends, scuffs). Please include a copy of your sales receipt or invoice.
- Return shipping will be paid by the customer.
- Returns are not accepted on audio, video, or other digital products.
Mailing Address for Returns:
207 N. Main St.
Moscow, ID 83843
- Damaged or defective products may be returned immediately for full credit (replacement or refund).
- You must notify us, within 30 days of receipt, of books damaged in transit.
- You may notify us of defective books at any time.
- You must notify us, within 30 days of receipt, of damaged or defective audio CDs or DVDs.
- In some cases, we will not require return of the defective or damaged product. Please describe the defect or damage and indicate how many items were affected. We will cover shipping costs to receive and replace any damaged or defective products.
Upon receipt of the shipment, please verify the items to the invoice or packing slip as you unpack the box. Please notify us of any discrepancy within 72 business hours. We also ask that you provide us with your detailed re