Brit Lit is a fully annotated, year-long course which guides high-school readers to the important questions in the greatest British classics.
This British Literature series covering classic English authors from Beowulf to P. G. Wodehouse is unique: Each volume of Logos Press's Brit Lit gives you both the unabridged primary sources and the complete reference tools that teachers and students would need during a year-long British Literature class. No more flipping back and forth between reference books and dog-eared thrift editions: For the first time, the classroom helps and the classics themselves are interwoven for classical & Christian schools. Selected and edited by Rebekah Merkle, a veteran teacher at Logos School in Moscow, ID.
Each volume includes daily reading schedules; engaging comprehension questions for every day's reading with detailed answers; introductory essays highlighting themes and offering a Christian perspective; page-by-page, on-the-spot marginalia offering explanations, context, and important notes; memorization for 200 lines of poetry over the year; 90 integrative assignments and supplementary poems in the Poetry Workbook; comprehensive end-of-volume tests over readings and the Poetry Workbook.
This volume includes Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, and selections from Geoffrey of Monmouth's History of the Kings of Britain, Le Morte D'Arthur and The Canterbury Tales, paired with complementary readings from That Hideous Strength. Volume X: Poetry Workbook includes the Middle English selections and covers how to write iambic pentameter.
What People Are Saying:
"I cannot even express what it means to me to have such an outstanding, high-quality course to offer my son. And I am a former English major, so I just want it to lend more credence to my words when I say: Thank you for a quality course, that makes me nearly want to cry for joy it is so wonderful. I would say more about how much I enjoy Rebekah's 'voice' in the introductory or marginal notes, her light touch, and her sense of humor.... It's really the next-best thing to having an actual teacher right there with you, and is so much like what my ideal me would be doing if I could." -Gretchen P, homeschooling parent
Rebekah Merkle has dabbled in a number of occupations ranging from running her own clothing label to designing fabrics to becoming a full-time high school humanities teacher (which is fitting, because she was a student in one of the founding classical Christian schools in the USA). Rebekah is also the author of the book Eve in Exile, but by far her proudest accomplishment is her crew of five outrageous, hilarious, high-speed teenage children, and her favorite role is that of wife to her similarly outrageous, hilarious, and high-speed husband Ben Merkle.
PAGE COUNT: 506 pages
ISBN 10: 1-591281-45-8
RELEASE DATE: May 1, 2015
Orders & Shipping Policy
- Your order will be processed and shipped within five business days (usually next business day if all items are in stock!). We will notify you if your order is delayed longer than five days due to backorders.
All books, homeschool curriculum, and materials purchased directly from Canon or Logos Press, with the exception of audio, video, or other digital products, may be returned for a full refund with the following conditions:
- A return request must be made within thirty (30) days of the sale. Please email our customer service department for return authorization (email@example.com).
- Please package and individually wrap items in a return shipment: Items must be in resalable condition or we will not issue a refund (i.e., no scratches, dents, tears, bends, scuffs). Please include a copy of your sales receipt or invoice.
- Return shipping will be paid by the customer.
- Returns are not accepted on audio, video, or other digital products.
Mailing Address for Returns:
207 N. Main St.
Moscow, ID 83843
- Damaged or defective products may be returned immediately for full credit (replacement or refund).
- You must notify us, within 30 days of receipt, of books damaged in transit.
- You may notify us of defective books at any time.
- You must notify us, within 30 days of receipt, of damaged or defective audio CDs or DVDs.
- In some cases, we will not require return of the defective or damaged product. Please describe the defect or damage and indicate how many items were affected. We will cover shipping costs to receive and replace any damaged or defective products.
Upon receipt of the shipment, please verify the items to the invoice or packing slip as you